The museum benefits from the personal involvement of Lopez family members. The 1990s opened with Eugenio Jr. and his brother, Manolo, in the foundation. In 1992, the museum’s art holdings significantly increased with the untimely passing of Roberto and the generous bequest of his collection to the institution. With an acquisitions policy still evolving, the foundation decided to fill in gaps so that twentieth-century Philippine paintings would be fully represented.
Professional trends in museology, archiving, library science, and conservation were reviewed to prepare for the design and management of a large new museum space that could reach out to audiences using updated services with contemporary appeal and technology for the increasing holdings. Other major Philippine museums were considering their futures too. With them, the Lopez Memorial Museum recruited Lord Cultural Resources, Planning and Management to assess conservation and exhibition requirements into the new millennium. A building design was commissioned for future construction.
Mariles Ebro Matias, then one of two residents in the country holding a university degree in museology, became Museum Director and served from 1994 to 2001. The museum joined the Committee of Museums set up by the newly legislated National Commission for Culture and the Arts. The Committee, as the Philippine branch of International Council of Museums, promoted a global Code of Ethics, recommended standards, and provided a network for museums and museologues. As the museum tilled new professional ground, it continued publishing art books that included in 1998, Eugenio H. López, Sr.: Pioneering Entrepreneur and Business Leader, a tribute to its founder who that year received the Cultural Center of the Philippines Centennial Award given to 100 persons from 1898 to 1998 who made a difference in Philippine arts and letters.